Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Summit Success! 5/16/07 4:30-5:00pm ADT (5:30-6 PT)

WOOHOO! They made it! Sorry for the delayed info, but I was en route when Scott called me from the summit of Mount McKinley! He was very excited to report that they had a tough day, but they made it to the highest point in North America! They celebrated Aaron's birthday by reaching the summit and they were very fortunate to have clear weather and great views from the peak! They took lots of pictures on the summit. I can't wait to see them!

We lost connection not long after that, but Aaron was able to reach April, so she could wish him a happy birthday, and he could share the summit news personally with her!

Given that they were several hours behind Scott's planned summit time, I only expect them to make it back down to Camp V tonight, and hopefully the weather holds, and they make it back down to 17,200 ft. safely. Ideally, they were hoping to make it down to Camp IV tonight, but that's a lot of ground to cover considering their summit time. At least daylight is not an issue, since it really doesn't get dark in Alaska this time of year. They have ~18 hours of daylight and then it should be like dusk the rest of the night. But I imagine they are exhausted.

Keep them in your thoughts and I will update you when I hear from him again!

4 comments:

The Ice Dog said...

Congratulations Scott and Aaron! Aaron, what a birthday present! I look forward to reading more and seeing some pictures after they return to the land of fat air and cotton clothes.

Happy travels!

johnny said...

Congrats to Scott and Aaron. I am John, one of Aaron's cousins. I have been watching the events and appreciate all the great information you have been posting. I look forward to seeing Mr. Saari and April in a couple weeks for it's been a while since I have seen Aaron and I look forward to meeting you April. I can't imagine what it is like to stand on top of the world after conquering a giant mountain. I can only say that they truly felt "SISU"(strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.) I am so darn proud of my lil Cousin and Scott. Being from the UP and now living in Minnesota, all those weather reports sure sounded familiar...

Johnny Noble

Anonymous said...

An amazing feat, my little brother Aaron -- I am so proud! Tonite Joe and I will celebrate you over a couple of Newcastles. In a mere week, you will be able to rest your weary limbs while traveling Michigan in an RV, aka "The Big Hog." We wish you and Scott the best of descents, and anxiously await our visit with you and April. Happy Trails!

Unknown said...

Congrats to Scott and Aaron. Wow i didn't even know you were up to this Aaron.It is truly amazing . I can't wait to see you and meet April and of course all of the family... we always have such good laughs together love and miss ya
your cousin Susan