Monday, December 29, 2008

Safe Arrival at Base Camp, mule included

I just got a call from Scott about an hour ago, and he is at base camp and feeling good. His muleteer and mule met him there with a large portion of his gear. Tomorrow he will make a trip up to Camp II with a load of supplies to stash behind some rocks for him to use when he reaches that point. He'll spend another night down at Base Camp as part of the acclimatization process (so his body gets used to the altitude).

Though there are several other climbing parties there, the language barrier is a factor, so he will be climbing the Normal Route rather than traversing the Polish Glacier.

We figured out that he is 5 hours ahead of Pacific Time in the region of Argentina where he is located. I should get another call from him in about 5-6 days after he has successfully reached the summit and makes it safely back to Base Camp.

In the meantime, he is using the Spot tracker to send me "okay" messages every day so that I know he's alright. He also has a "help" message programmed in that he can send me if I needed to contact the ranger with his exact coordinates, but let's hope I don't ever get to see that message. I copied a link to this post that shows his last coordinates, so you can see where he's at on Google maps if you're interested. (just click on the title of this post) Thanks for keeping him in your thoughts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool link. You can even see the topography on google map and search for old pics of base camp with the mules and tents and everything!